Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Reading Habits




My reading history is varied, to say the least. As I discussed in class, the first book that really inspired me and my reading was Ernest Thompson Seton's "Biography of a Grizzly." I was a P5 student at the time and for the next few years read animal stories almost exclusively.
As I matured, attended college, got married and entered the teaching profession, my reading habits changed. Before choosing my major at university I read literature, sociology and psychology. Reading the classics followed at college.

As I began my teaching career at the elementary level, I was interested in stimulating students to write and fostering creativity. When I moved to junior high school, I read hundreds of adolescent novels. After finally advancing to high school and teaching English, it allowed me to return to the classics.

I introduced the new journalism to my English classes. Capote and Wolfe both took factual events like the murder in Kansas of the Clutter family (In Cold Blood)and the space program in the United States (The Right Stuff) and wrote about them in fictional, novel format. New journalism is still taught in my school division.


My reading today is more eclectic than ever. I read in no particular order: sports books (depending on whether I am into golf, tennis, cycling, etc); novels made into movies; best sellers; mystery; travel; humor and ultimately anything that grabs my attention.

My motto: If you are reading for pleasure and you aren't enjoying the book, put it away. There's just too much good literature and too many great reading choices to struggle with something that isn't satisfying.

Want to see a few of the books I've read? Check out my electronic bookshelf at weread.com site.

Want to find out your learning style? Please go to http://tinyurl.com/32ge4g

4 comments:

Jarrett said...

cool!!!

1p401 said...

Does this website also provide us the book to read it online?

1P407 said...

hi mr spelmer.i like to read too but im a little lazy so i read very little.hope i will read more this year.

2P420 said...

Dear Mr Spelmer,
I'm the parent of 1P421. I understand you did not receive this blog reply previously. I had mentioned that I will be contributing several books to support the reading campaign. Books I will be donating are mostly spy/thrillers authored by Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Dale Brown and some others. Hope this is satisfactory.
Thanks for the good work!